Friday, December 7, 2012

Challenges

In my last blog, I accepted a challenge. At the time, I was overweight, out of shape and had just tried to ride my bike and keep up with Pro cyclist Ted King. I got dropped in the first 10 minutes of the ride. It wasn't pretty.

At that point I had a decision to make. Was I going to continue my current lifestyle, or was I going to accept the challenge and get in shape? I chose to get in shape. Carpe Diem. Seize the day.

That was in April 2012. By July of 2012 I had competed in my first triathlon of the year. By August, my second and by September my third triathlon was done. Finally, in October of 2012 I rode in a charity ride, the 60 mile Krempels King of the Road Challenge. That ride is organized by Ted King to raise money for rehabilitation of people with head injury.

By that point, I had dropped 22 pounds, my blood pressure had reached the normal range from being borderline high, and my symptoms of daily reflux that I was having were completely gone. I had felt so good about my training that for the first time in my life I applied for a cycling license and began racing cyclocross.

But more importantly for me, at the Krempels ride, I was able to ride with Ted King the whole 60 miles and actually found it fairly easy. During that ride, I told Ted about how getting dropped had motivated me to change my life for the better. He told a similar story about how he got dropped from an Exeter Cycles Wednesday night ride when he was younger. He also got motivated from this experience. "Sometimes it takes getting dropped to give you motivation" he said. How true.

We all get dropped in one way or another during our life. In fact we probably get dropped more times than we like to admit. What is really important though is how we chose to react to getting dropped. And we always have the same two choices. Are we going to Carpe Diem? Or, are we going to lie on the couch and forget about it. Motivation or not?

Lately, I have been trying to recognize those decision points in my life where I have choices. It seems that the best choice is always to seize the day. Life doesn't last forever. Why choose complacency?

My Dad was my junior high principal. On the wall of my junior high hallway, he placed a big wooden sign that everyone saw on their way to class. It said "Success usually comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it --Henry David Thoreau.”

Dad and Henry were right, and so was Ted. You will get dropped, and you will have a choice. Carpe Diem.

8 comments:

David Stanley said...

Well Doctor, when you get dropped, you get dropped by one of the best. Nice piece/

Unknown said...

It's amazing what surgeons go through. I don't know if I could handle it.

Dr Robert Israel said...

I can totally relate to your story. My struggles have been the same over the years till i get there

Greetings

Dr Robert Israel MD

IFA said...

nice point of view of surgeons, world look much different when you are in this profession.


hand surgeons Singapore

Unknown said...

Superb posts with lots of information!!! This is really the most miraculous blog site dude…. The Med Care Group

Unknown said...

I am very happy to see your blog, good article and interesting,

*reach your marketing lists or Sales Leads*

Email Appending list is continuously updated with most accurate, quality and verified contacts.

Ehealthcarelists can provide Surgeons Mailing list & Email list Mailing list
complete marketing information

Anonymous said...

Nice post you can check this colorectal surgeon

Sophia said...

Hi,
Nice blog, Our database can help you to target prospects to get high response rates and guaranteed results. Now reach and engage with your targeted audience by Surgeons Email List and stay connected with Surgeons in USA, Canada, UK, Australia and Europe.